Available to:?Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments, New/Incoming Students, Guests
Cost:?Generally, there are no charges to use non-residential network services. There may be costs associated with the installation or extension of wireless services; departments interested in these services should contact the IT Help Center using our 澳门永利网页版:online form or by sending a message to .
- See?Getting Started, below.
We maintain an extensive wireless network throughout the Charles River, Fenway, Medical, and certain remote campuses. With few exceptions, the design, installation, and refresh of all wireless infrastructure is done by Network Services, ensuring members of the BU community are provided with current technology that is secure and offers easy access to the network at burstable data rates up to 300 Mbps. In a few select University owned residential facilities wireless network services are provided through a commercial carrier service managed by the University.
Centralizing design, installation, management, and maintenance for the wireless network ensures homogeneity. The network functions in a predictable and reliable manner, providing simplicity, consistency, transparency, and security for everyone, regardless of where they connect to our network.Wireless devices can move freely throughout areas with wireless service, without losing network connectivity.
- Support for wireless access via 802.11a, 802.11g, and 802.11n
- Secure access via native encryption, via 802.1x, or a VPN Client
- Access for University guests
What to Expect
This service normally will be available 24 by 7 except for standard change windows, as described in IS&T’s standard policies, procedures, and schedules for making changes.
Access to the University’s wireless network generally requires a device with an 802.11 Ethernet adapter, supporting either A, G, or N, and wireless services active in a particular location.
- For details and to learn how to connect your wireless device, please see the page on 澳门永利网页版:802.1x access for BU accounts or the page on 澳门永利网页版:guest access.
- Consult our map of buildings with wireless network access as well as information on 澳门永利网页版:outdoor wireless.
- If you have difficulty using the University’s wireless network in a particular location, please report the problem to the IT Help Center using our 澳门永利网页版:online form, by sending a message to , or by calling 617-353-HELP (4357).
- If you are interested in adding wireless service in a particular location, please contact the IT Help Center using our online form or by sending a message to .